Monday, October 02, 2006

Glocal Trekker Blog

From Bob Robert's Blog
Thought provoking to me ...

I was visiting one of my Jewish friends that always makes me think. I deeply respect and love him. He’s a thinker/doer. Thinker/writer’s are nice. They sell books and speak, but thinker/doers live and change things for the better. He challenged me not long ago to be more open if not an universalist. We both love the world and people and God. He told me I’ve yet to cross that line. He’s right. I have and continue to ponder deeply over our conversation. Here are some conclusions. He told me I understood the Great Commission as a literal thing that causes me to evangelize and that short circuits all I do and all I say. Here are some of my thoughts.

First, fifteen years ago I did start with the Great Commission. It was the command--not any more. Today, I start with the Great Sermon--Matthew 5-7, and focus on the disciple. Then, Matthew 25--the way we touch the world. To me, the Great Commission is the culmination and result of reading all the rest of Matthew. I believe our global work is short-circuited often because we start at the end of Matthew instead of the first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home