Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bolivia Wrap Up

As I, somewhat, feared on Sunday morning I had no translator. So there I was, the “missionary,” the gringo, the guy who flew all that way. Surely I would need to speak, encourage the believers, deliver a short message. What would I report to my supporters!? Ah! Surely that impure thought never crosses my mind. No never.

Yeah right. Want another confession? I can be seduced my numbers. X number of people accepted Christ; We trained X number of pastors in church planting; X number of people are attending church Y that was planted (on this date).

I don’t know how God speaks to you, but Sunday morning He told me "to just be still, be quiet and worship Me. If I need you to speak, I’ll make a way." This is the whole point of what we do. It's not about me or numbers. It's about worshipping a sovereign God, and He showed up that morning.

This is where Pastor Enzo and I were on Sunday morning.

This neighborhood is called Jericho and last May, a group of college students worked with this pastor, Alberto Ortiz, to plant this church. For four years, pastor Alberto and a few workers only taught children here, now they have multiple meetings each week with over 40 adults. (look a number, flee from temptation) Get this, he asked me for more discipleship materials. They’ve run out of the first few volumes of material we gave them a year ago. On Friday nights about 30 adults gather to listen to an audio tape of the New Testament in Spanish. They listen and then ask discussion questions so every is exposed to the Word, even those who can’t read or write.

Back to the worship. A young guy and lady and a girl around eight led worship along with a young guy on guitar. The Spirit of God came into that place. I was moved. I sat on a thick board that sat on top of two milk cartons. It stretched the width of the room. A gentle breeze was blowing, it was around 70 degrees, the sun was out, and when I looked out the open side of the building I could see a beautiful tree that was in full bloom with pink flowers.

Once the music subsided, Enzo stood to preach. He preached on this passage. Proverbs 30:

24 "Four things on earth are small,
yet they are extremely wise:

25 Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;

26 coneys [d] are creatures of little power,
yet they make their home in the crags;

27 locusts have no king,
yet they advance together in ranks;

28 a lizard can be caught with the hand, yet it is found in kings' palaces.

How appropriate. These churches are small, yet the believers have a strong, committed faith.

Below, Jose (left) gives a testimony of the Lord sparing him despite a nasty car accident while Pastor Alberto (right) looks on. Jose is a key member of this church, purchasing many of the supplies and food the church needs. He's storing up his treasure in heaven.

Above the children recite memory verses for the congregation. Below, the younger children have their lesson under the tree.

That afternoon, Enzo and I rode over to Montero. A smaller town about 45 minutes from Santa Cruz. We had a little time before church started, and a translator showed up (hallelujah), so we talked for awhile. I got a major reality check, and a serious reminder how important prayer is to this country. Enzo related many of the challenges he’s faced in trying to mobilize pastors and the even larger challenge of them really catching the vision for saturation church planting. There can be many obstacles.

That night we visited a church planted in July 2005. Below is a picture of the people worshipping. There are times I quite articulate my feelings, thoughts and impressions about a place, but this church was an encouragement. Montero is more rural than Santa Cruz and I think all, or virtually all, of these folks have lived in Montero all their lives. Imagine you're just scraping by, trying to find work, raise your family, and just make it in this world. One day someone comes to your door and tells you about Jesus. The King of Kings wants to know you, He will take away all your sins, He will give you a hope and life more abundantly. And after you die, He has a place in paradise ready for you to live for eternity. That 's the story of the folks below. Many began following Jesus less than a year ago. Hallelujah.

Me and a few of the members. Actually most of the members of the church.

********************************************************

Other Pictures I liked.

The next time we complain about doing the dishes ...

Anna

The Campus Crusade building where we held the church-planting training.

Another Anna, the pastor's wife at New Hope Church. Her daughter is doing dishes above.

4 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger George Robinson said...

Presence or Productivity?

Ahh, the serendipity of discovering that God is more interested in our relationship with Him than our productivity for Him. I think Tozer said, "No amount of service on behalf of the King will ever replace being in the presence of the King." May we minister out of an overflow of that Presence, rather than for glory-diminishing and self-aggrandizing reports of productivity.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger J. Guy Muse said...

What an exciting report from Bolivia! The photos really help to bring things to life. You are not the only one that counts numbers and thinks they are indispensible. I would dare say there is at least one other on the face of the earth that struggles with their own importance--namely this writer! God has a way of letting us know it IS about HIM, not us. I love that praise song that says,

"It's all about you, Jesus. And all of this is for you, for your glory and your fame. It's not about me, as if You should do things my way. You alone are God and I surrender to your ways."

 
At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home